Scholarships Go Live: January 1, 2023
Application Deadline: May 31, 2023
Winner Announcement: August 31, 2023
DONATE TO ATG
The Against The Grain Thear Suzuki R.I.S.E. (Realize your purpose, Ignite your passion, Secure your seat, Embrace your power) Scholarship provides financial assistance and promotion of Asian American high school seniors, college, or graduate students who have exhibited an ability to rise above circumstances, demonstrated the ability to lift up others, and shown exemplary servant leadership in the Asian American community and beyond.
Awards: between $1,500-$2,500 award to be applied toward school tuition and fees
General Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be of at least 25% Asian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity
- Must be a citizen, national or legal permanent resident of the U.S.
- Must be either a high school senior or a college student currently enrolled full-time at an accredited U.S. vocational, junior college, or four-year college/university and must be a full- time, associate/bachelor/master degree seeking student by the upcoming academic calendar year
- Scholarship is open to students of all majors
- Demonstrate “RISE” qualities (Realize your purpose, Ignite your passion, Secure your seat, Embrace your power)
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (unweighted)
- Family members of Board members are ineligible
Specific Eligibility Requirements:
Video Presentation: All scholarship candidates must submit a video presentation showcasing their story and RISE qualifications focused on demonstrated self-development (self-reflection on past mistakes/ways to improve), rising above circumstances, and servant leadership.
Videos will be judged on authenticity, content of, creativity and execution
- Videos are to be submitted via link from YouTube or Vimeo
Please note that the selected Finalists and Winners will be asked to sign a release form so that we may feature his or her video on our homepage.
Selection Criteria: Selection is based on a rating system judged in five major categories. The candidate with the highest combined cumulative points will receive the scholarship. These categories are:
- Video presentation
- Quality of content submission (essay) - “Share your unique R.I.S.E. story and how you have/plan to make a difference in the world.”
- Academic performance
- Leadership/community service experience and contribution
- Letter of recommendation
- Phone/in-person committee interview
Disbursement: Funds will be disbursed directly to the educational institution in the student’s name.
Please note that Scholarship Winners will be required to submit a short 1 minute “thank you” video to be uploaded to our social media.